Have you ever tried to buy a gift for someone you knew NOTHING about?
Maybe it was a holiday gift exchange at work, or a friend of a friend’s birthday party you didn’t want to show up empty-handed to.
Whatever the case, you probably know how challenging it can be to shop for someone you don’t really know!
In business, the same idea can apply to knowing your target customer.
We connect with businesses when we feel understood by them, and unless you have a clear understanding of who your target customer is, and what they value most, it’s impossible to give them what they want!
On the other hand, when you understand your target customer to the core, you can give your clients exactly what they want, and become magnetic to prospective clients!
(Sounds pretty good, right??)
So, if you’re ready to get into the mind of your target customer, you’re in the right place!
Today, we’re sharing a simple exercise to help you identify your target customer, so you can serve them at the highest level.
Let’s dive in!
- A notebook and something to write with OR a new note in your favorite note-taking app.
Part 1: Demographics
First, let’s cover some basic demographic info about your target customer! Keep in mind that your business might have more than one target customer, and if it does, that’s okay! Complete this exercise as many times as you need to for each target customer.
- Relationship status
Part 2: Deep Dive
Now that we’ve covered the basics, it’s time to go deep! Here are 12 questions to help you get into the mind of your ideal client. Take your time with each answer, and have fun!
- What are 10-15 words to describe your ideal client?
- What makes them happy?
- What are their hobbies and interests?
- What is their biggest fear in life?
- What is most important to them in life? (Ex: family, health and fitness, being financially independent)
- What are their favorite websites and/or social media platforms?
- Who are their favorite celebrities and/or influencers?
- What are their favorite health, beauty, and wellness brands?
- What are their biggest beauty challenges? (Ex: dry skin; sparse eyelashes; excessive sweating)
- How do they feel before and after receiving the service you provide?
- What do they value in a company they do business with? (Ex: great customer service; reasonable prices; friendly technicians)
- If they could wave a magic wand, and make one problem disappear from their lives, what would it be?
The better you know your clients, the better you can serve them, and at the end of the day, that’s what it’s all about!